Re: asserted, de-asserted

Subject: Re: asserted, de-asserted
From: Sharon Toll <SHARONT -at- LEONARDO -dot- LMT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1994 14:51:23 CST6CDT

Jan Bates says:

>Richard,
> In each of the cases you cite, wouldn't it be simpler
>and clearer just to replace asserts with signals?

>for example: The bus controller signals Data Ready .....

>Jan
>------------
> The bus controller asserts Data Ready for as long as the data on D0-D7 is
> stable.

> The bus controller asserts Data Ready for 10ns when the data on D0-D7
> becomes stable.

> The bus controller asserts Data Ready when the data becomes stable, then
> removes it when the data lines no longer contain valid data. ...RM

I think using 'signals' is more abstract. To me the term 'asserts' holds a
specific meaning; in this case, the controller sets the Data Ready line
true.

That it 'signals' Data Ready confuses me because:
Data Ready *is* a signal,
who/what does it signal to, and
Signal doesn't necessarily indicate action.

my two cents!

Sharon Toll LaserMaster Corporation
<sharont -at- leonardo -dot- lmt -dot- com> Eden Prairie, Minnesota