Re: Web Site Up--Comments

Subject: Re: Web Site Up--Comments
From: Gwen Gall <ggall -at- CA -dot- ORACLE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1994 11:58:37 EDT

Tim Pera writes:

I think this is a terrific idea and I volunteer to compile some
of this stuff. I suggest that Eric consider asking for project
volunteers who would take charge of compiling and maintaining
discrete topics for the server.
*************

I have been collecting bibliographic references to all the style guides,
grammar books, etc. that have been mentioned on this and the copyediting list,
and had promised to post to the list some months ago, but have yet to get time
to compile and clean up...And I keep getting more, anyway, as well as more
recommendations for the same books, so it's actually getting to be a pretty
good data source...

I had envisioned an annotated bibliography, grouped by type, and listed both in
order of popularity, and also alphabetically by author. I intended to exerpt
quotes as the annotations (with permission, of course, of the originators).

It's an ambitious intent--perhaps so much so that I haven't set aside the time
required to do it, but will, if people (and Eric) wish me to take on this task,
provide it to the group for comments, additions, corrections, and then present
it to the world as the "TECHWR-L Guide to Writing Guides, Style Books, etc." on
the WWW. Unless someone else has already compiled such a list, of course...

Comments? New or favourite recommendations with pithy quotes?

Note: We could break it down by country, too, since there are stylistic and
usage differences depending on the country you use English in...Make sure it's
an "international" list, not centred on one usage.

Cheers,

Gwen (ggall -at- ca -dot- oracle -dot- com)
Oracle MultiDimension

"The foreseeable future. A cliche, and a fuzzy one. How much of the
future is foreseeable? Ten minutes? Ten years? Any of it? By whom is it
foreseeable? Seers? Experts? Everybody?"
--Strunk and White, "The Elements of Style"