Re: Punctuation Inside Quotes

Subject: Re: Punctuation Inside Quotes
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 1994 12:25:20 EDT

Like Jim Grey, I'm finding that I use punctuation outside the quotes. I know
what style guides and my Jr. High English teacher say, but I find that I'm
often uncomfortable with punctuation inside quotes. The implication that the
punctuation is part of the command seems to be a bigger potential problem than
any strict punctuation issue.

It's even starting to creep into my private usage, I've found. It's not
correct usage, "by the book," but there are times when it seems to work best.

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
rlippinc -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com