Re: Punctuation Inside Quotes

Subject: Re: Punctuation Inside Quotes
From: Heli Roosild <HeliR -at- MSMAILHQ -dot- NETIMAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 1994 12:57:00 PDT

----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Date: Friday, October 28, 1994 11:56AM

I'm really surprised that this is as much of an issue as I've found it to
be. I was always instructed to place the punctuation inside quotation marks
or parentheses if it *belongs* with that text and outside if it belongs with
the "big" text. For example:

Perform "command".
He said, "I want to go home."
Although he liked the painting (which was rather ordinary), someone else
bought it for $600.
The painting (I really didn't like it myself.) sold for $600.

It's always made sense to me as a rule of thumb & I've never heard of anyone
having confusion over reading it. What's everyone else doing?

Sally Marquigny Network Imaging Systems
sallym -at- msmailhq -dot- netimage -dot- com Herndon, VA
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Subject: Punctuation Inside Quotes
Date: Friday, October 28, 1994 8:49AM

Aahz notes:
>Another common difference is typographical: most hackers avoid placing
>punctuation inside quotes unless the phrase being quoted requires it.

I like this convention. My company's style guide requires that punctuation
fall within quotes. Sometimes it's just not possible to recast a sentence
to avoid "command." when it would be clearer as "command".

jim grey
jimgrey -at- iquest -dot- net
--
jim grey |beebeebumbleandthestingersmottthehoopleraycharlessingers
jimgrey -at- iquest -dot- net|lonniemackandtwangin'eddiehere'smyringwe'regoin'steadyta