Re: Background

Subject: Re: Background
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 1994 20:14:57 -0800

>What do you find is the best combination between technical knowledge and
>composition experience? In other words, should an aspiring technical
>writer/educator strive to be more versed on computer science fundamentals or
>advanced grammar?

Ideally, you ought to have absorbed grammar (including "advanced grammar")
long before beginning a career. That was the job of your tenth grade English
teacher.

Composition is an ongoing study. The essence of technical writing is
organizing complex ideas and presenting them clearly. No one is ever good
enough at this.

Specific technical knowledge is not as important as technical maturity. Like
Sisyphus, we continually confront bodies of unfamiliar material, nearly
master them, then begin the cycle again. Rarely do we get to write about
something we already know. ...RM

Richard Mateosian Technical Writer in Berkeley CA srm -at- c2 -dot- org