Re: Help file resumes

Subject: Re: Help file resumes
From: Chuck Martin <techwriter -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 1994 16:16:11 PST

A couple of comments of the discussion a few days ago (that I just
caught up with).

I created a Windows Help resume almost two years ago. I think it's a
great marketing tool; it contains my experience and expands on the
normal limitations of a printed format. Recently, I added topics that
contain writing samples. The resume's existence demonstrates not only
my skills, but my creativity.

It got me a job interview once, when I handed it to a company
president at a job fair.

People who receive it are usually quite surprised, and often seem
impressed.

One recruiter took it and had a secretary type the information out to
put in a searchable database. (!)

One person (an editor who does hiring) at a major computer magazine
asked for a printed version because (s)he doesn't like putting "foreign"
disks into his(her) computer. (Can someone tell this person about virus
checkers, which I use regularly.)

It's easy to print up some labels with brief viewing instructions, put
them on diskettes with the resume file, and hand the diskettes out at
trade shows, conferences, etc.

Having an online resume for a particular platform is a strong indication
that a job is desired working on that platform.

Drawback: it's not as easy to maintain as a paper resume, especially
when adding new topics; you have to create new links, and always recompile.

Chuck Martin
Information Developer, IBM
techwriter -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com techwriter -at- aol -dot- com 74170,2462 -at- compuserve -dot- com