Re: Letters and E-mail

Subject: Re: Letters and E-mail
From: Jane S Torpie <handson!boston -dot- handson -dot- com!janet -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 1994 18:09:00 PST

Erik Harris & KarenK were "chatting" about writing thank-you notes on
"letterhead."

According to _Miss Manners' Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior_, the
best way to handle writing paper is to get full-size sheets imprinted with
the home address so that every person at that address can use them.

For business letters, I prefer to have my name and phone number on the
letter, so Miss Manners's approach doesn't work for me.

Instead, I "create" my own letterhead by printing my resumes and cover
letters on the same nice letter paper and using my own header,
laser-printed.

IMHO, I wouldn't use letterhead from a company or university where I was
working to write cover letters or thank-you notes. Beyond presenting a
polished image, the purpose of letterhead is to establish recognition.
Since I'm acting on my own behalf and not that of another organization, I
wouldn't want the reader to think of that organization; I want him or her to
think of me.

Others?

Jane Torpie
Course Development Consultant