letters and e-mail

Subject: letters and e-mail
From: Anatole Wilson <awilson -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 1994 08:52:06 PST

I don't think you can generalize about this any more--it depends upon the
individual interviewer or manager. If all previous contacts have been
through the regular mail, it probably is better to write a letter. If
you've been communicating with the interviewer through e-mail, an immediate
e-mail note followed up by a letter may have more impact.

When I was a grad student in Pittsburgh, I interviewed with several companies
in California. Regular mail takes 5-10 business days to get across country,
so several of the people I interviewed with suggested I stay in contact with
them through e-mail, since it was faster. One manager I now work with said
he was annoyed that more students he interviewed at job fairs didn't
follow-up with e-mail, especially since he had encouraged it, and he also
had to make his recommendations within a week after the fair.

The easiest way to be sure, of course, is to ask the interviewer, if it's
alright to maintain contact through e-mail; a question like, "what's the
best way to keep in touch with you to see if you have any more questions?"

Anatole Wilson "We are all interested in the
Sr. Assoc. Information Developer future, for that is where
IBM, Santa Teresa Labs you and I will spend
awilson -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com the rest of our lives."
all company disclaimers apply - Criswell, Plan 9 From Outer Space