Internet and Disasters

Subject: Internet and Disasters
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 1994 08:30:13 EST

Marilynne Smith and others told of sending messages out of LA right after the
earthquake, or the internet being the only source of news for some people
just after the earthquake. Marilynne also noted that Genie has dedicated lines
so she felt she wasn't jamming phone lines.

No need to feel guilty about this.

If I recall my history of the development of the internet (and the original
DARPAnet), actually this is -exactly- what it was designed for: info flow
between different sites following some major unexpected disaster that breaks
normal communications lines.

Of course, DARPA assumed the "disaster" would have been delivered by incoming
ICBM's.....

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
rlipinc -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com