Re- Background

Subject: Re- Background
From: Liz Babcock <liz_babcock -at- C28B5 -dot- CHINALAKE -dot- NAVY -dot- MIL>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 1994 17:33:36 -0800

Mail*Link=AE SMTP Re: Background

On Nov 3 Rick Lippincott observed,

>Denise Monette said:

> I get the impression that most of you folks have the impression > that =
technical writers all write computer and/or software documentation.

>That's the impression I've gotten, also.. . . If memory serves, STC =
President Liz Babcocks works at the Navy's China Lake facility, and they =
don't make computers there....

Correct, Rick. And David Armbruster, STC President of a couple of years =
ago works in the medical editing field. Furthermore, Jody Heiken, who will =
be STC President year after next, works in scientific writing and editing =
at Los Alamos Scientific Lab. Many other STC leaders--and members--do not =
document computer hardware and software, either.

A few years back members working in scientific communication began to =
complain that the STC Annual Conference emphasized computer documentation =
to the detriment of sessions on other types of technical communication. At =
that point Mary Zoll of Boston Chapter and several other members decided =
to do something about it, and they formed the Scientific Communication =
Professional Interest Committee. This PIC is now thriving. One of the =
tasks members of the PIC have set themselves is to increase the number of =
conference sessions on scientific topics; they've been very successful in =
this endeavor.

Perhaps TECHWR-Lers who feel similarly excluded could do likewise by =
introducing topics that would be directly applicable to the career =
concerns of "the rest of us."

STC members on this list who are interested in learning more about the =
Scientific Communication PIC may wish to drop a note to Mary Zoll. I don't =
believe she's on the Internet, but you can reach her by regular mail at 11 =
David Road, Newton Center, MA 02159-2711.

And thanks, Rick, for giving me this opening to plug STC!

Liz Babcock
STC President