War - Teminology

Subject: War - Teminology
From: Paul Strandlund <Paul -dot- Strandlund -at- X400UX -dot- SASKTEL -dot- SK -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 1994 14:14:20 -0600

Reply to: War - Teminology
I am currently writing a practice to update our Disability Income Plan
information and I have a serious question for you.

There is one part that says coverage is void and no benefits will be paid if a
disability occurs due to war or any act of war (whether war is declared or not).
Maybe it's just me but for an act of war to be an act of war it must be declared
as such. Example being Vietnam - it was officially a police action because it
was never declared a war.

I also have backup on this one (for a change) Webster's Ninth New Collegiate
Dictionary says "war...1 a (1): a state of usu. open and declared armed hostile
conflict between states or nations ...". This says to me that war must be
decalred to be an act of war.

I need your opinions - please respond to me directly as I am set to nomail and
digest and I would like to have this information quicker than tomorrow. (if you
respond to me after today I will still read them and weigh their merit only I am
pressed for time)

I will summarize the responses and report to the list when I have finished
receiving them.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Paul (paul -dot- strandlund -at- sasktel -dot- sk -dot- ca)