Re: Measuring Productivity

Subject: Re: Measuring Productivity
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 08:59:21 -0700

On Wed, 9 Nov 1994, Marilynne Smith wrote:

> >> Communicators (the creative types that we are) don't like being
> >> linked to productivity.

> I certainly agree with that. Are engineers tracked for productivity?
> Programmers? When part of your job is creating something or solving
> problems, the productivity measurements fall flat.

> Was I wrong? Did you ever have to count pages?

While I have not had to count pages, I do have to keep track of the time I
spend on any giving project. I understand the rationale--we do contract
work and it is important to keep track of the billing. What bugs me,
however, is the problem of accounting for the accounting time spent. I
spend time each week updating records for keeping track of the document
flow, updating lists, making backups of current work, etc. While all of
this is necessary work, I sometimes feel that most of it could be assigned
to someone who isn't supposed to be a writer!

* RoMay Sitze rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu *
* Results! Why, man, I have gotten *
* a lot of results. I know several *
* thousand things that won't work. *
* Thomas A. Edison *