Durante on creativity

Subject: Durante on creativity
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 1994 17:13:32 IST

Do you consider yourself creative, or a technician?

** In the early 1980s I worked in advertising. Everyone there realized that to
be creative was to be a high-class character, and everyone scrambled to
define themselves into the word until the bean-counters were claiming that
sending out the bills on time was also a form of creativity. Everybody
wants to get inta da act.

But real creativity surprises in a way that ordinary problem-solving
doesn't. I think that writing a manual is seldom if ever creative.
Writing an sf novel in the form of a manual for an imaginary
machine is creative.
||- Mark L. Levinson, mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il -- Box 5780, 46157 Herzlia, Israel -||
|| You can't judge right by looking at the wrong. - Willie Dixon ||