Re: Invoke or Use

Subject: Re: Invoke or Use
From: James Browne <jimb -at- SSINY -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 1994 12:17:39 EST

Remember who your audience is: if your audience recognizes "invoke" or any
other word to have a specific use, then use the word.
Invoke is commonly used in the UNIX environment (and, I suspect, other
software environments) for starting a program.
Remember that the audience for a dictionary is not necessarily the same
audience as your manual, help system, etc.
I'm not suggesting inventing a vocabulary or using terms that were
invented on a whim by the engineer who's explaining the product. As
professional writers, it part of our job to know the audience and
appropriate vocabulary for our information products.