Re: spoken & written usage

Subject: Re: spoken & written usage
From: Faith Weber <weber -at- EASI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 1994 16:57:42 -0800

> About 20 years ago, I noticed that some teen agers were using
> "goes" or "go" instead of "said." For example, "I go ......" or
> he goes....." Now, almost everyone 35 or under never uses the word
> "said" in speech. Is this only in California or all over the country?

I grew up in New York, and kids there did it. I don't really
remember whether I did, but if I did, I outgrew it.

I still think the above is better than "I was like ..." or
"I'm all ..." instead of "I said", which is pretty common in
California (at least) these days.

The other one my SO's son keeps picking up from his friends is
"I gots" or "getta", as in "Guess what we getta do?" It drives us
nuts, but he knows the correct way to speak. When I repeat his
casual lingo as a question in a horrified tone of voice, he
corrects himself. As long as he knows when each is appropriate,
I don't see the harm in it (though I fail to see anything
appealing about saying "I gots this new game" -- UGH! Whereas
somehow, "I'm all, 'Give me a break!'" adds a dimension of meaning
for me, even though I don't say it myself).

I think "know your audience" *is* good advice for speakers as well
as writers.

Faith Weber
EA Systems Inc.
weber -at- easi -dot- com