Re: H/W v S/W difficulty

Subject: Re: H/W v S/W difficulty
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 11:18:58 EST

Jan Boomsliter responded to my posting:

(me) Jan's statement -could- be turned around: "I think software is
a piece of cake, I've got a computer at my desk and it runs the
software." Is this a fair statement?

(Jan) Not even close. I can't see tab A or slot B in the software.
Remember that it's my perception. I write both hardware and software,
and software holds mysteries for me. Hardware doesn't.

I didn't think it would be a fair statement, but it does start to show some
of the perception problems.

If you're working on a complex software system, with simple hardware
requirements, it will appear that software is tougher. If you're working on
a complex hardware system with a graphic interface, it may seem that the
hardware documentation is tougher.

It also depends on background. Consider two tech writing jobs, one's documenting
software, the other hardware. We have a candidate for each, both have an
equal talent for tech writing. The first, however, has also worked as a
machinist for several years, while the second is a classic hacker and can
write programs in his sleep. Unfortunately, there's a goof-up in the HR
department: the machinist gets the software doc job, the hacker gets the
hardware doc job.

When they compare notes in six months, who's gonna say "My job is really tough."
Probably both of them.

(Anybody see where I'm starting to go with this?)

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
rlippinc -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com