Re: Make It Pretty

Subject: Re: Make It Pretty
From: Carl Gotlieb <gotliebc -at- AGCS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 14:16:31 -0700

Debbie,
I think most of us have heard that phrase from time to time from our
coworkers, often in front of other coworkers, no less. It is demeaning,
but it's usually said by someone ignorant of everything we are paid to do.
There's still some of that "glorified secretary" perception lurking about,
but I would say let your work speak for you. If you do more than pretty it
up, it should be obvious in your work. In a professional manner, show the
person how you added value to a document, to educate them about what you do
and to increase your perceived value to the company.

And next time have the person say, "Make it so, Ms. Molinaro!" :-)

Carl
gotliebc -at- agcs -dot- com
Phoenix, AZ

> There's a fellow in my chain of command who refers to our work
> (Technical Publications Department) as "making it pretty."
> As you might guess, I find this statement offensive, but through the grace
> of God, managed to hold my tongue when I heard it.
<snip>