Re: Icons for Cautions, Warnings

Subject: Re: Icons for Cautions, Warnings
From: Ray Bruman <rbruman -at- RND -dot- RAYNET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 14:32:08 PST

> I am working on a project for the State of MN. We are writing on-line
> help for PeopleSoft software.In the on-line help we have many warning
> statements and the icon we use is the palm of a hand, symbolizing stop,
> with the word warning in red above it.

This is a good illustration of what I call "standard problems."

In some parts of the world, the image of a palm has evil connotations.

The palm does not universally symbolize "halt" all over the world.
In Greece (I believe), our "halt" gesture means "come here."

The color red will disappear if a printed page is photocopied.
In on line displays, color is invisible or ambiguous to some people.

China actually tried to make "Red" mean "Go" instead of "stop" for
traffic signals at the peak of the Red Guard era. (That failed, but
the urge to mess with standards is eternal.)

The ISO has a good raison d'etre.
They know about things none of us can afford to research so completely.
It's smart to use their symbols.

Ray Bruman In this establishment,
Raynet Corp. we DO NOT DISCUSS
rbruman -at- raynet -dot- com race, religion, politics,
415-688-2325 or nutrition.