Re: Job fairs

Subject: Re: Job fairs
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 1994 08:39:21 EST

I attended three or four job fairs in the Metro Boston area last fall and
winter. They match Barb Philbrick's description: lots of people in dark
suits waiting in line to shake hands. Most of the encounters turned into
"Okay, but here's my resume in case you need tech writer's in the future."

I don't know of anyone who has found employment through a job fair. One
company representative claimed to have hired a tech writer from a contact
at the previous job fair, but I've got reasons to think he was just handing
me a line.

To be honest, the only good thing I ever got out of job fairs was the ability
to satisfy Massachusetts unemployment requirements, by making the week's quota
of contacts in one night.

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
rlippinc -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com