Re: Hey, take it easy!

Subject: Re: Hey, take it easy!
From: Nancy Hayes <nancyh -at- PMAFIRE -dot- INEL -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 1994 16:52:32 GMT

RE: sie/hir.
This is one I can't force myself to use. It grates on
my nerves even worse than using a singular "they".
Oh for the good old days when a generic "he" was
acceptable (anti-PC comment for the day). Seriously,
has anyone found a solution to this problem that
isn't more awkward than the problem? -- Nancy (nancyh -at- pmafire -dot- inel -dot- gov)

PS: PC-language sunk to a new low a few weeks back.
I was editing a document where the author used "chair"
and gave the man's name. I thought if we knew the
person's gender it was acceptable to say chairman or
chairwoman?

PPS: Another one that "ranks" right up there w/
sie/hir is womyn. Any comments?