Re: your mail

Subject: Re: your mail
From: Michael Keene <MKEENE -at- UTKVX -dot- BITNET>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 14:36:24 -0500

On Fri, 18 Nov 1994, Romay Jean Sitze wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Nov 1994, Michael Keene wrote:

< concerning having tech. comm. students critique papers in groups >
> Not only are the benefits considerable to the students, I find that even
> though the group structure may take some effort from me initially, as the
> semester goes on, the class actually begins to almost run itself. My time
> can be more profitably spent guiding the process. Even time spent on
> grading papers is reduced--the groups have already taken care of some of
> the kinds of things I used to have to do myself.

That's a great point! One of the hardest things for me to get a writing
class to do is to progress--that is, whatever level they were working at
in week 1 or 2, get them to another level (and/or a better level, and/or
a deeper level, but at least a different level) in weeks 3 and 4, etc.
And choreographing the group work has been really successful at helping
me accomplish that goal in one of my courses.

Mike Keene
mkeene -at- utkvx -dot- utk -dot- edu