Re: Sie/hir

Subject: Re: Sie/hir
From: Laurie Rubin <lmr -at- SYL -dot- NJ -dot- NEC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 10:35:00 -0500

Does anyone remember the "universal language" idea that was being tossed around
as becoming the "international language"? I think there was talk about it in
the 1970s. The language even had a somewhat complicated name that has alluded
me. Well, I don't think that language got off the preliminary think tank
phase!

I can't see how something like "sie/hir" could, either! If we assume these
names are used only for English text, I agree with Anatole that they don't
change the bipolar use of his/her, he/she sexist thing. That is why I always
try to use "the user" (for any user: male, female, monkey, alien, etc.) or
"you" in my docs.
Laurie