Re: Sie/hir

Subject: Re: Sie/hir
From: Ellen Adams <ellena -at- TOLSTOY -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 13:44:20 CST

Laurie Rubin asked: <<Does anyone remember the "universal language" idea that
was being tossed around
as becoming the "international language"? I think there was talk about it in
the 1970s. The language even had a somewhat complicated name that has alluded
me. Well, I don't think that language got off the preliminary think tank
phase!>>

The language to which Laurie refers is Esperanto, which Webster's defines as:
An artificial international language based as far as possible on words
common to the chief European languages.

And, she's right. It didn't really catch on.

She also makes a good point. Use "you" in documentation. It's fairly universal.

Ellen Adams
Houston, TX
ellena -at- tolstoy -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com