Re: Thank you, Michael, for "Display" explanation

Subject: Re: Thank you, Michael, for "Display" explanation
From: Rose Wilcox <RWILC -at- FAST -dot- DOT -dot- STATE -dot- AZ -dot- US>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 18:05:00 PST

Sorry to post this to the list, but Michael's address did not
work. I got a "user unknown" message.

Michael:
I would like to thank you for explaining what was wrong with
"displays". I looked it up (suspicious by nature) and dang!
if it wasn't a transitive verb. My cube-mate, Bud the wonder writer,
also told me he did not like the word, but did not know why. And
some other techwriter-list person wrote me and warned that I
would be creamed for saying "displays". It never set off a warning
bell for me as it did for Bud nor has any other writer, editor, coworker,
or editor ever pointed it out to me. I hate my errors being
pointed out by non-writers, so I'm glad to learn of this on the techwriter-
list! I know it is used quite commonly in a lot of computer doc, but
I'll probably use "appears" in the future, although I guess the
commonality of the usage will eventually cause it to find its way
into Websters.... Anyway, I wanted to thank you because I'm
one of those folks who insists on knowing WHY? not just what...
Thanks.
Rosie
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us
ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com