Ashleigh Brilliant

Subject: Ashleigh Brilliant
From: Steve Fouts <sfouts -at- ELLISON -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 1994 08:39:20 CST

Paul Race wrote:
|} Claiming the copyright for a common saying or anything else in the "public
|} domain" is one thing, making a legitimate claim of ownership, that's
|} something else. If Ashleigh Brilliant's copywritten work happens to include
|} a saying as common as, "Wherever you go, there you are," that's interesting.
|} But it doesn't convince me that AB owns all rights to the phrase.
|}

While I don't disagree with most of Paul's post, I feel I should add a bit
about Ashleigh Brilliant. He has made a very good living creating little
epigrams and selling them on post cards, T-shirts, and in books. All of
them are less than sixteen words long, and each is protected by an individual
copyright. Some of his sayings have become quite common (``I may not be
totally perfect, but parts of me are excellent.'') and he rabidly defends each
and every one of them from copyright infringement, mostly attacking the T-shirt
and coffee cup market. It is just the attitude above that he is fighting. He
is usually very successful.

I do not know if the quote in question is one of his or not.
/ ___ __/__\ \ / / _\ Steve Fouts
/___ \| | ___\ | / __\ sfouts -at- ellison -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com
/_______/__|_______\_/________\ "She understood, as he did, that all writing
was infernally boring and futile, but that it had to be done out of respect
for tradition" --Stanislaw Lem