PC Comments

Subject: PC Comments
From: Dan Lupo <dlupo -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 1994 10:12:23 CST

Dave Meeks responds to Dan Lupo:===================================
I believe a word's usage is derived more from convenience than from
any calculated intent. In my experience, the criteria arise after
the fact.

Dan responds:
Can you define convenience? I am not sure how that relates to
my original question: can you provide specific examples to
support your claim and help me understand your point?

Dave Meeks responds further to Dan Lupo:=============================
The phrase "headlong rush" is a fairly common one. However, I suppose
your question proves my point: you can see anything you want if you
try hard enough.

Dan responds:
I think your original post ALSO supports the principle you cite,
only in reverse: you can choose NOT TO SEE something if you try
hard enough. Your original post suggests you are choosing NOT
TO SEE the good intentions of the PC movement--which is to raise
awareness of how our language may be supporting bias--and choosing
instead TO SEE and react to what really is that element of the
movement that has taken a good thing too far. Focusing on the
(extreme) part and letting it stand for the whole is precisely
the tactic used by Rush and others of his ilk, which my second
comment alludes to.

Dan Lupo