Re: generic "he"

Subject: Re: generic "he"
From: Jan Boomsliter <boom -at- CADENCE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 1994 13:22:14 -0800

Of course they are sexist. Each and both of them. Neither is
generic. They cannot be used interchangeably.

Jane talked about alternating usage, for balance. She did not say, of
even suggest, that they are interchangeable.

I agree with you completely. The generic "he" and "she" should
be used interchangeably. My point is that the generic "he" is
not inherently sexist, anymore so than the generic "she."