Re: he/she

Subject: Re: he/she
From: Claudia Allen <Claudia -at- CPC -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 13:40:00 PST

Bill Newkirk says:
>but that doesn't change the convention that using "he" instead of a
complex,
>convoluted noun-name in an effort to refer to the reader is the standard.

>some people are just too sensitive. others just work hard to come up with
>an imagined slight.

Re: "he" is "standard" and that the rest of us are "too sensitive." If "he"
has been the convention, then it's time to change. I am not a he. My
daughter isn't a he. Many of my friends do not consider the word "he" as a
pronoun of choice. When we read "he," we tend to picture a white male.
Typically an old white male. We don't see women in that group. No, we're not
asking that the generic change to "she;" we just want to be included and
"he" isn't inclusive. Are we "too sensitive?" Perhaps you are too
insensitive?

Claudia Allen
claudia -at- cpc -dot- org