Re: another passive voice question

Subject: Re: another passive voice question
From: Rose Wilcox <RWILC -at- FAST -dot- DOT -dot- STATE -dot- AZ -dot- US>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 1994 11:57:00 PST

Darcey C Harding writes:

>I have to say,

>"I added the broth to the 125ml flask. I harvested the cells. I purified
the
>urease. I applied the extract to the DEAE-cellulose...""

>sounds AWFUL, no matter HOW varied I try and make it.

This example wouldn't be too bad if you varied your sentence
structure from simple to complex or compound. For instance,
write:
"I added the broth to the 125ml flask and harvested the cells.
After purifying the urease, I applied the extract..."

The problem is not the active voice. It is the sentence structure.

Rose A. Wilcox
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us
ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com

"There was a man afloat in days.
Believing wisdom comes with time.
He lived through people, cars, and dogs