Re: Contract writing (was Job Futures for Tech Writing)

Subject: Re: Contract writing (was Job Futures for Tech Writing)
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 1994 16:47:47 -0800

Bonni J. Graham said:
> I rely mostly on word-of-mouth, although every now and then I get a "happy
> accident" job (from out of the blue).

But I find this to be true for *any* job. I recently changed careers
to technical writing, and I've been employed for 4 out of past 8
months. Even though this is all new to me, I get an average of one
job lead a week from my contacts, so I constantly have stuff out there
that I'm waiting to hear about. I'm looking for either contract or
permanent work. I've found that people who talk you up to other people
are your best resource. Admittedly, I'm still unemployed, but I find
myself not really worried or depressed about it because I still keep
getting little nibbles, and frankly, since I still have income from my
last contract, I'm not marketing myself as strongly as I could.

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com

P.S. If anyone in Silicon Valley is looking for a writer, you have my
e-mail address.:)