Re: Gut Reactions to SGML

Subject: Re: Gut Reactions to SGML
From: SuePStewrt -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 19:22:00 -0500

My "gut reaction" to SGML and how it reduces writer "drudgery" is that is a
movement in precisely the opposite direction from the rest of the world.
That is, it moves documentation/communication from customer-focused to
product-/vendor-focused.

Different kinds of information are best communicated in different ways.
Forcing everything to fit the same mold may make the job easier for the
writer/editor/communicator, but may not best serve the reader/user/customer.

Communication is not a manufacturing process, where the customer is almost
always benefited by increased speed and productivity resulting in reduced
cost.

I have seen some excellent presentations on SGML, and some excellent
discussions on this list, but I have yet to see an argument that it improves
comprehension or usabilty for the READER.

After some decades of experience with panty hose, I am very suspicious of any
claim along the lines of "one size fits all"!

sue stewart
suepstewrt -at- aol -dot- com