Re: Use of K (thousand) and M (million)

Subject: Re: Use of K (thousand) and M (million)
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 1994 08:15:05 EST

Kevin Montgomery asked about "K" for thousand and "M" for million.

If it's more conventient to use the "M", perhaps you could find a way to
define both terms, up front in the documentation. Consider, however, that
with only one symbol different between three thousand and three million,
there's always a possibility of error through typo.

Also consider your product, and possible confusion in the mind of the audience.
Recently, at my job, I was -very- confused by some software changes. It seems
the machine was revised to trigger at 17K instead of 23K. I spent a week trying
to figure out what file size had to do with the trigger, and how the system
determined file size.

Then I figured it out. In this case, "K" meant "Degrees Kelvin."

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
rlippinc -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com