Re: Help!

Subject: Re: Help!
From: "Sandy, Corinne" <CHS8 -at- CPSOD1 -dot- EM -dot- CDC -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 1994 08:24:00 EST

In the Powerbuilder applications that I am documenting, I refer to the
"Save" button which, when selected, applies the data to the database. When
the saved record is opened, and the information is modified and saved, I
refer to that as an updated record. However, the "Save" function is still
being used. Where you're referring to "Update," I use the term "Open" to
indicate that the data window is displayed on the screen (the function
button is also labelled "Open"). As far as the user is concerned, the data
in the record has been updated, but it's all just being saved, or applied,
to the database. Since I do not know what type of applications you are
documenting, I can not offer better advice.
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Subject: Help!
Date: Wednesday, December 07, 1994 4:46PM

Date: Wed, 7 Dec 1994 16:46:32 -0500
Sender: "Technical Writers List; for all Technical Communication issues"

From: Laurie Rubin <lmr -at- SYL -dot- NJ -dot- NEC -dot- COM>
Comments: To: TECHWR-L -at- VM1 -dot- UCC -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- OSUVM1 -dot- BITNET>
content-length: 743
I am drawing a blank for command button terminology, and the thesaurus I
have
is not helping!
The software is using Motif standards.
The developer is using both Apply and Update in the same window, and after
telling him that they mean the same to some people (4 users and myself
during
usability testing), I need to come up with a better word for Update.

Apply means "update the database with the changes made in the window."
Update is supposed to mean "populate the window with the most recent changes
currently in the database."

We already use Reset to mean "revert back to the information since the last
Apply or when window was opened."

To reiterate, I need a different button label for Update.

Please reply directly.
Thanks,
Laurie