insert pages for updating manuals

Subject: insert pages for updating manuals
From: Kelly Kremin <kellyk -at- CYBEROPTICS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 1994 10:41:53 LCL

Greetings:

Currently our manuals are this:

- 8.5" X 11" master pages cut down to 6.5" X 8.5"

- Wire-O binding

So, when we update (on an irregular basis) we reprint the whole
enchilada & bump up the revision level.

For one manual due this spring we are changing to this:

- 8.5" X 11" master pages cut down to 6.5" X 8.5"

- 3 hole punched, 3 ring binding

The idea being that we can start sending out insert pages rather than
accumulating an arbitrary # of changes & reprinting it all.

My questions are:

1. What's the skinny on insert pages... do companies update
documentation this way or is it part of the past?

2. What are the best strategies for designing insert pages so that
people actually do insert them CORRECTLY?

You can respond to me directly at kellyk -at- cyberoptics -dot- com