Re: Word use: Express/ed

Subject: Re: Word use: Express/ed
From: "Sandy, Corinne" <CHS8 -at- CPSOD1 -dot- EM -dot- CDC -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 1994 10:46:00 EST

Having a law school background, the legal term "express" is the opposite of
"implied." So the author would have to have a statement similar to:
"Authority is given to _____ to copy, distribute or duplicate the work
(express)" vs "In the case of copying, distribution or duplication of the
work, author must give written authority." This may not be the best
example of an implied statement, but it should be read as the author is
thinking about giving authority but has not definitively stated it or there
is a condition upon which the authority may be granted.

----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Subject: Word use: Express/ed
Date: Thursday, December 08, 1994 9:25AM

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 1994 09:25:33 EST
Sender: "Technical Writers List; for all Technical Communication issues"

From: Gwen Gall <ggall -at- CA -dot- ORACLE -dot- COM>
Comments: To: TECHWR-L -at- VM1 -dot- ucc -dot- okstate -dot- edu
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- OSUVM1 -dot- BITNET>
content-length: 980
Hi all:

I received a humourous sendup of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (about
Newt
Gingrich, of course), and noticed a use of the word "express/ed" in a manner

didn't think was correct. However, let the writing list be the judge. Here's
the quote:

"This work was created solely for the amusement of
the authors and should not be copied, distributed or otherwise
duplicated by any means (electronic or telepathic included) without
the expressed written consent of whoever owns the copyright to the
book the authors plagiarized to create this masterpiece."

My concern is the word "expressed": shouldn't it be "express", in the same
meaning as "I _expressly_ told you not to do that", or as one Oxford
definition:

"definitely stated, not merely implied"

I have seen this alot, and wondered if it was just ignorance, of if I had
been
misinterpreting all these years, and it really was supposed to mean, as in
"he expressed his opinion".

Gwen (ggall -at- ca -dot- oracle -dot- com)