Re: Copyediting tests for employment

Subject: Re: Copyediting tests for employment
From: Jan Boomsliter <boom -at- CADENCE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 14:23:18 -0800

Good idea.

And while you're at it, did you think about having your editor whiz
knock the stuffing out of your standards ("very slim" but no one could
read them quickly)?

================================
In article <199412010513 -dot- VAA21915 -at- netcom15 -dot- netcom -dot- com>
"Katharine Y. Flight" <kflight -at- netcom -dot- com> writes:

> 2) If you have administered one of these tests, did you find them
> useful in screening candidates? Are there particular areas of
> subject matter or skills that you look for or consider most
> valuable? Do you use them routinely in hiring, or only for
> certain positions or assignments?

we experimented with a writing/editing test during our last search... I
designed the test in conjunction with HR and our best editor. I found
that the writing part went much better than the editing test. We asked
the candidates to write laundry instructions for a college student
leaving home for the first time.

with the editing test we gave them a clumsy draft, a copy of the
corporate standards (very slim) and asked them to edit according to our
standards. We had the editor whiz give us a benchmark time, and we
intended to compare the time results with the *hits*. It took
_everyone_ so long to read the standards that nobody did very well. We
decided that next time we will just ask them to proof a short text...
never mind the standards.

... waja ...
sitting quiet waiting on the muse, a muse?