Professional Liability Insurance for Contract Writers

Subject: Professional Liability Insurance for Contract Writers
From: Cathy Godwin <tdsasg!cgodwin -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 1994 09:43:22 PDT

Hi all!

I was able to find insurance brokers in the San Francisco Bay area who
provide "miscellaneous professional liability insurance" for technical
writers. The brokers told be that requests for this type of insurance
are becoming more and more common. The broker that I'm dealing with
is Bill Rush (408) 296-3433. My broker tells me that this type of
insurance is expensive ($2000 minimum), and the rate is based on the
type of writing you do and the amount of coverage needed. When I get
an actual rate for a computer software technical writer with $1
million coverage, I'll post it.

I've checked with local professional writers' organizations to see if
they offer group rates for this type of insurance, but so far I
haven't heard anything. Anybody know of group rates through the STC,
Writers' Union, or ????

Cathy Godwin (cgodwin -at- tds-hsc -dot- com)
Contractor