Re: Unix screen capture tool

Subject: Re: Unix screen capture tool
From: Frank Saucier <Frank_Saucier -at- WARREN -dot- MENTORG -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 1994 10:53:32 EST

For UNIX screen captures I use the Snapshot tool that is part of
OpenWindows and the FrameMaker Capture tool (File > Utilities > Capture)
that is part of FrameMaker 4.0 for UNIX (I listed a portion of the man
pages for Snapshot below). I use xv to convert the Snapshot raster files
to the format I need (JPEG, GIF, TIFF, XBM, ...). I don't think xv liked
the format of the FrameMaker Capture files.

Frank

Frank Saucier / fsaucier -at- warren -dot- mentorg -dot- com

-------------------------------------

SNAPSHOT(1) USER COMMANDS SNAPSHOT(1)

NAME
snapshot - capture some or all of a screen and save to a
raster file

SYNOPSIS
snapshot [ -d default directory ] [ -f default filename ] [
-g ] [ -l filename ] [ -n ] [ -v ]

AVAILABILITY
Available with the OpenWindows environment. For information
about installing OpenWindows, refer to the OpenWindows
Installation and Start-Up Guide.

DESCRIPTION
snapshot is an OpenWindows XView utility that allows users
to save images from their workstation screens into a raster
file. The user may choose to take a picture of a single win-
dow, the entire screen, or any rectangular portion of the
screen.

snapshot can also be used to load and display Sun rasterfile
or GIF formatted files. It is also capable of viewing
images of a different depth then the screen, for example,
displaying color images of a monochrome screen. The image is
appropriately dithered before it is displayed. Compressed
images will be unpacked and loaded automatically.

Images can be saved to disk in Sun rasterfile format, or
printed on a PostScript printer. There are various printer
options (see below).

If it also possible to drag and drop rasterfile or GIF
images onto the snapshot drop zone and these will be loaded
automatically. Similarily, it is possible to drag and drop
from snapshot to another DeskSet application such as filemgr
or printtool.