Re: reasons for online

Subject: Re: reasons for online
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 1994 16:07:41 EST

Caryn Rizell asked reasons for putting documentation on-line, and wondered if
cost was as much a reason as convenience.

We're increasing the amount of on-line documentation that we use for our prod-
uct, and fortunately the reason is customer convenience.

Our equipment is shipped with two primary manuals, one for operations and the
other for maintenance. The operating guide is translated into an on-line system,
this provides immediate context-sensitive help for the user when needed.

Our equipment is used in clean-room conditions, dust from the paper can cause
a problem. By putting the maintenance manual on-line, we'll be making things
easier for the customer.

My last employer was a military contractor, and we discussed methods of putting
information on line in an effort to save the government money. (Yes, you read
that correctly. The -contractor- wanted to -save- government money.) (The
government wasn't interested, and is sticking with paper docs.) Although cost
was a consideration, here it was a case of "deliver greater value at less
expense" as opposed to "save a buck at GE."

So, my experience is that on-line is considered either for:
1) Customer convenience, or
2) The RIGHT type of cost reasons.

I'm sure that I've been lucky in this regard.

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
Beverly, MA
rlippinc -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com