Why 2400? It's Faster Than Nothing!

Subject: Why 2400? It's Faster Than Nothing!
From: Lori Lathrop <76620 -dot- 456 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 1994 10:30:48 EST

In explaining why some of us are happy with 2400-baud connections,
George F. Hayhoe, III said:

> Well, many of us living in rural splendor don't have any
choice. I'm delighted to have local access numbers to AOL, Prodigy, and
CompuServe that provide even a 2400 baud connection. Less than a year ago
it took a toll call to go online with these services in my home town of
less than 30,000 souls.

I also live in rural splendor :-) We have no local access numbers for
online services, so I paid big bucks to get a Denver line, which costs
me over $100 each month; however, that's much less expensive than long-
distance calls would be, even tho' I have a 14.4K fax/modem.

Recently, I've learned about some new long-distance services that would
cost me only $12-$15 per month. I'd have to program my modem to dial a
local number, then an access number in Denver. I may give one of these
services a try and, if all works out well, I could give up my expensive
Denver line.

If any of you have used such a long-distance service, I'd like to hear
from you. Please tell me whether or not you're satisfied with the
service.

Lori Lathrop ----------> INTERNET:76620 -dot- 456 -at- compuserve -dot- com
Lathrop Media Services
Georgetown, CO