Re: am pm or AM PM

Subject: Re: am pm or AM PM
From: Barb Miller <millerb -at- TCPLINK -dot- NREL -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 1994 16:00:44 MST

Timothy Schablin asks . . .

Any suggestions on which way to write am/pm, small case or caps? Does it
make a difference? I've always seen it in lower case.

The Chicago Manual of Style and Words into Type recommend A.M./P.M. as
small caps. Chicago also mentions a.m./p.m. in italics (usually in
Britain), and Words into Type mentions that some publishers use the lower
case version (no italics). (My email spellchecker lists both.) I use
a.m./p.m. (no italics). As long as you are consistent within your document
or company (if this is a company-wide style issue), you're okay in my
book.