Re: Grammar and usage

Subject: Re: Grammar and usage
From: Jan Boomsliter <boom -at- CADENCE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 1994 11:21:43 -0800

Seems logical, doesn't it? Free advertising.

However, their stand is that when their name becomes a generic for a
group of products, not only do they they lose their trademark, they
lose all possibility of claiming the qualities a mgf claims in selling
a specific product. Besides, when you call your broken-down,
unreliable copier a "xerox," well, you get the picture.

==============================
When I first met my husband back in 1978, he just finished a year with
Xerox Corp. He corrected me when I used phrases similar to "I'm going to
xerox the paper" or "use the xerox machine" (especially when the copier was
not made
by that manufacturer). At that time, he said it was incorrect to use the
name as a general term, and that the company was using all types of measures
to prevent the usage (I guess that included brainwashing their employees,
too).

To tell you the truth, I, too, would think that a company name that became a
general term MIGHT mean free advertising, unless surveys show that there is no
correlation between household names and increased sales!
Laurie