Golden Rules

Subject: Golden Rules
From: "David Blyth @second" <dsb -at- ALSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 1994 14:22:15 PST

>My own variation is:

> 1) Tell the Truth (Make the material accurate)
> 2) Tell the Whole Truth (Make the material complete)
> 3) Tell nothing but the Truth (Talk only about the material)

George commented that....

>I suggest that truthfulness has merit, but it is not enough! I believe
>that what we want to achieve is "clearness".

This is more or less that I'm driving at with Rule #3. That is,
anything `unclear' is not part of the material so is removed from the
document. (You talk about ONLY the material.)

The bottom line here is that I agree with your concept. I just haven't
yet figured out a way to state it nicely while fitting into these rules.

Or to steal from G. Gordon Libby, most of these rules (including mine)
are designed to "Tell The Truth" - not to "Tell the WHOLE Truth". They
are designed as Quick Reference Manuals, not as User's Guides.

David (The Man) Blyth
Technical Writer
Alsys (San Diego)
dsb -at- alsys -dot- com

My opinions are not necessarily those of my employer (but they should be).

Blodo Poa Maximus