Re: Relying on the feel of a sentence

Subject: Re: Relying on the feel of a sentence
From: Geoffrey Marnell <gmarnell -at- OZEMAIL -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 1995 22:44:43 +1100

Numerous instances, but it depends on what grammar book you are looking
at, and whether you include punctuation within the doamin of grammar.
Fowler called the ban on splitting infinitives a matter of style, but it
hasn't stopped dozens of gerund grinders saying 'don't slit an
infinitive', a practice that can cause difficulties of undertsanding (as
any Clive James book will prove). As for punctuation, crikey! There are
so many instances. Some guide books (or manuals) call for the en dash
to indicate spans of years EVEN IF THE SPAN COVERS JUST THE ONE TWELVE
MONTH FINANCIAL YEAR. This introduces an unnecessary ambiguity every time
(unless a qualification is include, such as "in the 1994-95 financial
year'). This is one of many instances where style books are poor and
inconsistant. I could spend hours listing all the instances I have come
across. Another example is the comma after 'however', the absence of
which can cause all sorts of difficulties for readers.