Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 4 Jan 1995 to 5 Jan 1995

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 4 Jan 1995 to 5 Jan 1995
From: Kat Nagel <KatNagel -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 1995 18:54:53 -0500

Gwen wrote:
>...trying to meet an
>excruciating deadline, with software I have yet
>to see, programmers who are too
>busy coding to talk to me,
>no specs. of any kind to work from....

No specs, huh? I almost envy you. On my current project I was handed:
1. a thick specifications document
2. a 4-inch thick 'paper implementation' of the product I'm supposed to
document---which was significantly different from the specs
3. a manual for a software product that 'my' product was
(loosely) based upon.

I was also told that:
1. the paper implementation documents an earlier version of the software
2. the current version of 'my' software is incomplete, and will have
different features from the parent product
3. the specifications are changing
4. the final version of the software (with new features) will arrive
about a week after the manual is due at the printer
5. the programmers are offsite, several hundred miles away
(no chance encounters at the water fountain)

I've always loved _reading_ science fiction...

@kat katnagel -at- aol -dot- com
Life 1: MasterWork (technical writing and document design)
Life 2: PlaynSong & Madrigalia, Ltd (vocal chamber music)
==========Life 1 pays for Life 2==========