Re: Cloud Origin--A Guess

Subject: Re: Cloud Origin--A Guess
From: Win Day <win -dot- day -at- FREENET -dot- TORONTO -dot- ON -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 18:13:12 -0500

I've been following this thread, trying to remember where I'd seen the
term before.

In the _Canadian Internet Handbook_ (1994 Edition) by Jim Carroll and
Rick Broadhead, all of the sketched showing the relationships between
remote sites and the Internet have the 'net inside what clearly looks
like a cloud.

On Tue, 10 Jan 1995, Beverly Parks wrote:

> As the subject indicates, this is just my guess on the origin of
> the term "cloud" of computers. I believe it comes from network
> diagramming, which commonly shows a group of computers contained
> within a cloud-shaped enclosure. This usually signifies that
> they are networked. Lines connecting different "cloud clusters"
> likewise indicate a networking of networks.

> (I tried to draw an ascii cloud here, but failed miserably.
> I hope you can all visualize what I'm talking about!)

> Beverly Parks
> bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil

|Win Day | "With a voice of singing |
|Technical Writer/Editor | declare ye this, |
|Email win -dot- day -at- torfree -dot- net | and let it be heard..." |