firewalls

Subject: firewalls
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 10:00:00 -0500

I don't know about "cloud"...but I have heard of the word "firewall," in
speaking of internet connections. I have only a vague idea of it's
meaning, however. It has something to do with security and limiting
accessibility to the LAN by the outside world.

"Cloud" is a new one on me, as well. From the context I'd think it meant a
collection of computers related by physical location.

"Firewall" is a security computer. It is simultaneously connected to two
networks, one of which is considered secure, the other insecure. Its job is
to protect the systems on the secure side of it from invasion by anything
undesirable from the unsecure side, giving up its (metaphorical, silicon-
based) life in the process if necessary. It can be set for varying degrees
of security, from simply refusing to relay network packets from specific
originating systems to completely blocking access from the unsecure
(Internet) side.

Think of a firewall as a door guard for your network. It's job is to make
sure no unauthorized visitors get into your facility. How assiduously it
does its job depends on how highly you value security. It simply enforces to
the best of its programming whatever security policy your site has in place
(including "none").

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 24