Re: Technical Presentation Skills

Subject: Re: Technical Presentation Skills
From: Sally Marquigny <SALLYM -at- MSMAILHQ -dot- NETIMAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 18:00:00 PST

A wonderful psychology professor (Dr. Raymond Bice) I had did a whole
semester intro class about things like this. What happens is that if you
*sleep on it*, it truly sticks with you because your brain basically
downloads it from your short-term memory to your long-term memory.

(He also taught us that if you study drunk, you'll do better if you take the
exam drunk! Something about needing to be in the same physical mental
condition or some such. Don't think anyone ever took an exam drunk as a
result, but quite a few probably realized from it that it's better to study
*before* the party than after.)

Sally Marquigny Network Imaging Systems
sallym -at- msmailhq -dot- netimage -dot- com Herndon, VA
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Subject: Technical Presentation Skills
Date: Wednesday, January 11, 1995 7:08AM

I've seen a few postings here about rehearse, rehearse, rehearse. I'd
like to add one tip that seems to work for everyone: that once you've
rehearsed, rehearsed, rehearsed, FORGET ABOUT IT for at least a day
before your presentation. You can cheat and do a quick half-hour review
of your cheat sheets, presentation materials, etc., before you go on
stage. And use some quick technique that arouses your personal confidence.
But for some reason (a neuropsychologist would know what it is,
probably) just dropping the whole thing for a while (e.g., overnight) has
good results.

Suzanne Townsend <ac158 -at- cfn -dot- cs -dot- dal -dot- ca>