<pPopulate as a verb for "fill in"

Subject: <pPopulate as a verb for "fill in"
From: "Osmundo R. Fernandez" <fernao -at- RPI -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 09:09:19 -0500

The following sentence appears in a manual I'm rewriting:

"Some fields are empty and must be populated by you. Other fields already are po
pulated with a default setting that you can either leave alone or change to anot
her value."

Does the use of "populate" bother anyone. Personally, I'd rewrite the entire par
agraph in the active voice and find another verb for "populate." I'm new in this
company and I've been told that this use of "populate" is common. I've never co
me across it. Has anyone else?

Thanks for you input.

Ray