Framemaker vs. Interleaf

Subject: Framemaker vs. Interleaf
From: Judith Hammeran <judith -at- MACSCH -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 1995 08:58:09 PST

In regard the the current discussion of Framemaker vs. Word, I'd like to ask
about Framemaker vs. Interleaf.

I've been an Interleaf user for nearly six years on both my current and last
previous tech writing positions, and I'm now starting to use Interleaf
WorldView to create online documents as well.

But I'm really getting the strong impression that in order to remain
competitive in today's marketplace, a tech writer needs to know Frame. Since
my company just acquired a company that uses Frame and has decided to keep
Frame in addition to continuing to use Interleaf, I now finally have an
opportunity to learn Framemaker.

Since Interleaf and Frame appear to be competitive products, I'm just curious
to get some opinions as to why Framemaker has become the tool of choice. Is it
cheaper than Interleaf? More powerful? Easier to use?

Is knowledge of Interleaf worth anything on the freelance market?

Judith Hammeran
The MacNeal-Schwendler Corp.
judith -dot- hammeran -at- macsch -dot- com